Oral hygiene and dental health
Oral hygiene is key to preventing dental problems and gum disease. Our dental hygienists will show you the best way to brush your teeth, advise on diet, and create a programme of care tailored to your lifestyle. They are also trained to deal with gum disease when it occurs.
Hygienist appointments for adults
An adult appointment with one of our hygienists may include the following:
- An analysis of the condition of teeth and gums
- Oral cancer screening
- Measuring the depth of the pockets around individual teeth
- Identifying areas showing bleeding, swelling and tenderness
- Removal of plaque and tartar with hand instruments and ultrasonic instruments for immediate reduction of oral bacteria
- Removal of plaque remaining in pockets deep under the gum line
- If necessary, prescribing antibiotics to kill certain oral bacteria
After the initial treatment, an intense home-care regime combined with regular visits will bring a marked improvement. The need for further visits and treatment will depend on how your gums respond.
Hygienist appointments for children
Oral healthcare and training for your child should begin at an early age – read more about caring for children’s teeth here. Our hygienists use imaginative and colourful resources to teach effective brushing and other techniques that will stand your child in good stead for a lifetime. Your child will also learn the value of a sensible diet. Hygienist sessions for children are valuable, fun, and a wise investment!